Monday, July 13, 2009

Fireweed sketch


Access to my friends' cabin is by 4-wheeler only, and I get to ride on the back, hold on tight, and enjoy the scenery. Riding along next to the railroad tracks, we passed lots of a favorite Alaskan wildflower, Fireweed. It grows tall, and kind of looks like a lot of people wearing pointy pink hats! The blooms start in mid summer, and when they get to the top, we know cold weather is only weeks away.

I couldn't stop and paint these on the ride, so this sketch is based a combination of memory and drawings.

8" x 10" oil on linen panel

To purchase, contact me at info@carollambertarts.com
$150 plus shipping, unframed

And for those of you who, like myself, looked at that last post and thought, "Wow, something funny about that perspective!" here is what I got when I tried to make corrections. Did I get it right this time? Maybe not, but this is a bit better. It often happens that I only see the glaring error after I look at the photograph, even though I've stared at the thing for hours!

No comments: