Sunday, August 3, 2008

Last Snow, Flattop Mountain


If you have been in Anchorage for more than a few days, you will probably recognize Flattop Mountain. Usually visible from anywhere in town, it is one of a string of peaks running along the east side of the city, and it is a favorite hiking spot for people of all ages. I have been passed by 5 year olds on the way up. That's not to say it's an easy climb. You can see the most challenging part of the path near the top, a zig zag jumble of boulders likely to bruise a shin. The view from the heights is well worth the trouble. This year we have had cooler temperatures, with snow patches lasting into July.















I am indebted to June, Buddy, and Brian Horr of Dedham, ME for these photographs of me painting this piece. On the left I am just getting started, you can see the reddish undercoat on the panel. On the right, I am nearer to the finish, laying in the cool tones of the foliage. Thanks for the great photos!! Lots of people take my picture, but I don't always get to see them. I really appreciate it when folks send them to me, and I think people like to see them on the blog too.

11" x 14" oil on linen panel
To purchase, contact me at info@carollambertarts.com
$400 plus shipping, unframed

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice painting. I admire painters, but have no skill for it myself.

I do however try to send a picture to anyone in the picture if I have their info.